Friday, September 04, 2009

SoulHipJaFunk captures my Soul; The music of BTS

Balance and the Traveling Sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLvPsVpyriA&feature=related

Im still figuring out how to put videos on this blog, but click on this link, this has to be my favorite song on the cd, "Music ft Angelica", the way KIRB decribes his dedication to Music is how I feel when I write.

Hello My readers,

I need to tell you a new group I have been turned onto: Balance and The Traveling Sounds also known as BTS. Their music style is a fusion of Soul, Hip Hop, Jazz and Funk. Yes, you read right, they have fused all four genres into a new genre of music called SoulHipJaFunk...one word..SICK!!

The group consists of: KIRB, the MC, EBO-the producer (does all the Beats) Alvin- the vocals, Ryan Kern on guitar, Jell Kolhede on sax, Julian Hogan on drums and Blake Estrada on the bass.

I've known KIRB's Godmother for years and the first time I heard him "spit" was at birthday party about two years ago. I remember hearing him freestyle thinking, "Wow, he can really flow" not knowing that he had been doing his music for years.

When I was first told that KIRB and a group of his friends did a CD, my thought was "I'm not that much into Chicano Rap", but I would support because he was, after all like family, and get a CD.

I hadn't listened to the CD when I first recieved it, my daughter had gone on vacation to New York and when she came back she asked me, "Ma' did you listen to Adrian's (KIRB) CD" "No, not yet, I need to be in the mood to listen to it" I replied, remember..I thought I'd be listening to Chicano Rap.

"Its real good, when i was in New York, I listened to it everynight to sleep to" she said.

Sleep to? Who sleeps to Chicano Rap?

"You slept to it?" I replied rather shocked.

"Listen to it" she insisted. She grabbed my iPod and downloaded the CD and handed me the head phones.

Then I heard the intro of someone putting in a tape deck asking if it was the beginning..then the music started and then the beats..KIRB started with "BTS...BTS...BTS...the sunrises at the crack of dawn..." then the sultry voice of Alvin jumps in "..another life is lost where do we pick where we left off.."

WHAT? This sounded nothing like Chicano Rap...how did I sleep on this CD?

Listening to a few more bars...I was HOOKED...my favorite line in this song is when Alvin sings..."like moments captured in your mind, just press play, fast forward and rewind." "...Let Balance and Traveling Sounds move you..." you definitely hear all the genres when listening to this song... they demonstrate what that new sound is..and it's called SoulHipJafunk!!!!

I listen to the rest of the CD..and I have to say...it do not have one song that I did not like.

The song that really "moved" me, if you will, was Music ft Angelica. Listening to KIRB's dedication to Music, reminded me why I love writing so much. If there was theme song to when my paper and pen meet or when I begin to hit the keys on my laptop to express my emotions....this would be the song.

Most artist when creating their CD's and selecting which songs would be hits, usually out of 15 tracks...maybe you'll get 4 or maybe even 5 tracks that'll be hits (that's if they are lucky). But this CD...I liked ALL 15 tracks. Yes, I have my favorites...Intro (SoulHipJaFunk), Sounds Travel, Fell Down, Rain, Don't Stop, and Music.

This was why Michael Jackson's, Thriller did so well...nearly every song on that CD was a smash

I cannot wait to see the success of this group flourish...and they will.

To BTS..... much success!

*Note: If you want a more technical review of the CD check out BaLAance & the Traveling Sounds blog at : http://www.soundstravel.blogspot.com/

You can listen to more of their music at: http://www.myspace.com/balance123

I'd like to read your thoughts on them, please comment.

1 comment:

BTS said...

thanks !!!!! its ebo im going to put this on our blog thanks !!!!

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer that writes from the heart...and emotion (ergo, the name of my blog). Most of what I write about, I have had first hand experience in. Anything I review does not say I am an expert...I only write what I THINK and whether I like it or not! Not how the rest of the world should think or feel. I am Mexican/Italian and a Leo..again..why my blog is called the World of Emotion!! Hope you enjoy what I have to say and/or review. Enjoy!