Friday, November 14, 2014

You are Me: The Value of a True Friend

"A true friend will always hold your hand, through the good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between & just when you think you want to let go, they will hold on tighter ."-Me



"The way you know if someone is your best friend: That person brings out the absolute best in you." That was the one profound comment that Pastor Rick Warren left me with when I left last week's service. 

As I get older I realize the quality of friendships matters most than the quantity. I have "Lord knows" how many aquaintacences but a very few people I call my friends. You know the ones...the ones that drop what they are doing to help you with whatever you need. The ones that you don't need to say anything because one look at you and they already know what you need. The ones that when you have no money, they'll give you their last dollar to make sure you make it through the next day. The ones that don't expect more than you can give and that's...just be you. 

With that...
There are certain friendships that are worth fighting for. Be that friend that you know you'd fight for.

6 Golden Rules
to be the Great Friend YOU deserve...

1. Invest the Time
These means when you're spending time with them...give them your undivided attention. Social Media, texts, emails can wait. They are giving you something you can never repay....their time. 
It's too precious to waste.

2. Earn their Trust
I still struggle with trusting those close to me...I'm a work in progress :) There are three key elements that are crucial with this piece, they are:

a. Be Reliable
b. Be Loyal
c. Keeping Confidences (Secrets)

Had I had people in my life that were like this, I probably wouldn't have the struggles that I do. Even at 45, I'm still learning.

3. Listen with Empathy
 When you listen, make sure it's with understanding not waiting to respond.
Not everyone will think as you do or react to situations in the same manner...just be there and listen. Most importantly listen for emotions not being said; their tone, their facial expressions, or body language can tell you far more than what their words may be saying.

4. Accept their flaws
"You're a good egg, even if you're a lil cracked" *wink*
Through it all they accept you warts and all, *chuckle* My Pastor likes to use this one quite a bit. However, its true...a great friend holds not judgments, they don't see the exterior....they see the real beauty that lies beneath the surface...your soul.

5. Celebrate wins and share losses
a. Joys are doubled
b. Sorrows are cut in half

God never intended for us to ever be alone. We were meant share our lives with others, no matter the kind of relationship it is...Friend, Family, Significant other, Co-Workers, etc.
When my life was in celebration mode, I couldn't keep up with the number of "friends" that were ready to share in that...however, the true test came when the "Losses" in my life occurred. That's when I learned the true definition of a "true friend"...they stand by you through the good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between. They never let go even when I was ready to give up. I am truly grateful for them.

6. Bring out your Best
They risk rejection in order to be completely honest, because they are far more interested in your future than how you feel about them at that moment. (*times such as these I refer to as #truthmoment). 

I hope these are just as insightful for you as they have been for me.

As Always...Continue to:

Be Inspired
Be Inspiring 



 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a writer that writes from the heart...and emotion (ergo, the name of my blog). Most of what I write about, I have had first hand experience in. Anything I review does not say I am an expert...I only write what I THINK and whether I like it or not! Not how the rest of the world should think or feel. I am Mexican/Italian and a Leo..again..why my blog is called the World of Emotion!! Hope you enjoy what I have to say and/or review. Enjoy!